Outline of Our Daily Schedule
Every day, teachers welcome children into their classrooms and help them follow established routines (such as hanging up their coat and washing their hands) to best prepare for the day. As students enter the classroom, teachers facilitate the use of instructional materials to support the development of emotional, social, and intellectual skills.
Classes then gather to discuss the schedule for the day. Teachers share new concepts and plans. Books, songs, movement and language games enhance the daily educational experience. The focus is on participating effectively to build community and provoke curiosity.
All activities are individualized to meet the unique learning styles of every child. Children are given choices of activities multiple times throughout the school day.
The core school morning may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Movement activities focusing on self-control, body awareness, coordination, and endurance
- Music activities focusing on language development, auditory discrimination, following directions, and cultural awareness
- Outdoor experiences focusing on nature exploration and large muscle exercise
- Story times focusing on listening, comprehension skills and vocabulary building
- Literacy experiences, including Handwriting Without Tears activities for 4-5 year olds
- Art experiences focusing on creativity, risk-taking and perseverance
- Dramatic Play focusing on promoting imagination and communication skills
- Puzzles and manipulatives focusing on small motor development and problem-solving
- Building, planning and creating with various types of blocks and manipulatives
- Snack time
- Lunch time
The school day culminates with a closing routine, including a reflection on the day’s activities.