TBA’s Community Service Committee
TBA’s Tikkun Olam Committee provides opportunities for Temple members to volunteer to help underserved and needy individuals and groups in our local community and beyond. We coordinate projects, programs, and collections aimed at fulfilling the commandment of Tikkun Olam—to help “repair the world.”
Some of the ways we do this include:
- Preparing meals for residents of shelters for those experiencing homelessness
- Delivering baskets containing food and other holiday necessities to Russian immigrants living near the Temple before the High Holidays and Passover
- Providing holiday gifts and necessities for underprivileged children in our area
- Helping newly arrived refugee/asylee families adjust to life in the DC area
- Preparing and serving Thanksgiving dinner at the National Institutes of Health’s Children’s Inn in Bethesda
- Conducting Temple-wide collections for items needed by clients of local social services agencies, schools, etc.
We invite you to join us in our projects. Some are ongoing, while others are occasional or involve only a one-time commitment. Click the blue tabs below to learn more about our projects. Click the TBA contact name for each project if you have any questions or would like to volunteer.
Our Committee meets every other month, on the third Tuesday of the month, at 7:30 p.m., currently via Zoom. You’re welcome to join us. If you’d like more information about the Committee, have an idea for a new project, or would like to be added to the Committee’s listserv to receive meeting information and other Committee communications, contact a member of our Leadership Team: Joanne Brodsky, Arlynn Joffe, Gail Kaplan-Wassell, or Amy Weinberg.
To donate to a specific T.O. program (e.g., school supplies, Children’s Inn Thanksgiving, Refugee Resettlement Program), please donate to the general T.O. Fund and then contact Amy Weinberg to let her know where to apply your donation. Thank you!
Assembly line for lasagna project for Nourish Now – October 2019
Sukkah assembly for JFGH – October 2019
Stuffed animals for Montgomery County Child Justice Center – October 2019
TBA volunteers serving dinner at shelter
TBA receiving Fain Award at 2019 Biennial
Rebuilding Together – Volunteers Reassembling Play House
Chanukah party at Brightview Assisted Living facility
Birthday Cakes 4 Free Decorating Crew
Rebuilding Together – Roger Rothman with very grateful homeowners
Stuff a Duff program
Community Reach – Rockland House – donating library honoring Rabbi Luxemburg
Christmas Dinner at Lord’s Table